Becky1

Books, Books and More Books

Stop by and read a few sentences about the books I love and the books I hated. Leave a comment or two. I am a former librarian and a voracious reader.

COUNTRY OF ASH by Dr. Edward Reicher

Country of Ash: A Jewish Doctor in Poland, 1939-1945 - Edward Reicher, Magda Bogin, Elisabeth Bizouard-Reicher

Dr. Reicher’s memoir tells of his experiences as a Jew in Poland during World War II. He relates the most horrific details in a matter of fact voice. He, his wife and their small daughter all survive the destruction of the Jewish ghetto and the uprising in the city of Warsaw.

For anyone seeking information about Hitler’s edicts and their effect on Jews and Aryans in Poland, this account will be riveting in its details. Because this is a translation from the original French and Polish, readers will notice some awkward phraseology and construction.

Book groups might want to also read Anne Frank’s diary, another account of a German occupied country or even Leon Uris’ Mila 18 or watch the movie THE PIANIST in conjunction with this book.